Friday, July 18, 2008

whew! what's that smell?

Today Melinda and I tried our hand at making pickles. This is a first time for us but I have canned various types of peppers for the past 3 years and they've been awesome. We adopted the same brine recipe from our peppers and canned 11 jars today. I even threw in a few jalapenos to spice them up a little. I don't know how they'll turn out because some of the cucumbers had a funny taste.
After we cleaned up the canning mess we headed over to the trailhead to do a little hiking with the dogs before going to work. I've said for a long time now that Melinda can smell things before they begin to smell. As we were hiking along she kept telling me that the dogs stink. I could smell something but we were out in the woods and I wasn't sure if it was one of the dogs. We let them swim in the creek as much as possible just in case it was them. After we got home I entered the kitchen and whew, it hit me. Moonshine smelled like she'd rolled on a decaying carcass. She didn't smell bad before we left the house so there's a good chance she did. We immediately took them both outside for a water hose bath in the yard. I've heard dogs will do that to cover up their scent but holy crap why would you want to smell that bad. After their bath they both got sprayed down with pina colada dog spray that they both hate. They went from smelling like death to smelling like something out of a Jimmy Buffet video.

Later

No comments: