Friday, May 8, 2009

Yard Working Man



On the home front all our spring projects were starting to wrap up until I made the comment about the lack of space in our driveway since the purchase of the Eco. I told Melinda I thought we should widen the driveway again to make it a little easier to get in and out. One day while I was at work she decided to go ahead and start on the project not wanting to wait on the others to finish. I think it was her way of getting me started and it worked.
With all the rain we've had lately it's been hard to get in much saddle time but actually it's probably been good for me. I've been running more frequently and all the shoveling of mud from the driveway project has really been a good upper body workout. Although I feel good and sore, shoveling dirt for some reason is just not as fun as riding a bike, at least not for me.
It doesn't look like much but that is 3 days of shovel work. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have a wooded lot next door to store all the dirt I've dug up over the years. If I had the room I could easily build a pump track.
The wall is really starting to look good with a few plants and a layer of mulch in it.
We finally finished the 2 new gardens, filled them with dirt and veggies got planted this afternoon. Cucumbers, tomatoes, various peppers, and a bunch of herbs I've yet to check out. The garden we had for the last 3 years got torn out a couple of weeks back and we were surprised at how many Black Widows had made homes under the RR ties.
I was pleased to find this doormat the other day at Lowes, I felt it really fit in nicely at our house with all the dirt tracked in by bikes, work boots and big dogs. Although we said we were going to tackle all the project this spring so we could have the whole summer to play I have a feeling it won't last, we'll find something to improve or change.
It's looking as if the weather is going to play nice at least for now so I may see a different kind of dirt next week.

No comments: