Thursday, January 7, 2010

a bit more effort

Yes folks it's that time of year when I start thinking about what and where I want to race this year. I've given it much thought, probed the work calendar, weighed the pros and cons and counted the vacation hours twice. Actually I didn't count the vacation hours because they're the same as last year. I really enjoyed the races I participated in last year and according to my schedule I think most them are doable for me again. The first race of the year, the Icycle in Fontana NC, is next month and while I didn't do it last year it's tempting. I haven't committed to it partly because I just now remembered it when I began this post but who knows. Actually I haven't committed to any races yet but the 6 Hours of Warriors Creek has already been approved by my race director.






I fully plan to give this one another solo run but this year I'm gonna give it a little more effort. Last year with a head cold lurking I only managed only 3 measly laps but it was all I really had in the tank.







The Warrior's Creek course doesn't have a whole lot of climbing but it's a full body workout with very few places to rest. I've concentrated on my core and upper body more this year than I have in the past and I think that will become very beneficial to me in my quest to be more competitive. I don't think a podium spot is in my future but I do plan on completing more than 3 laps.
I have this same vision for all of my solo attempts this year. Last year was really my first attempt at solo racing and I really enjoyed it but didn't take it too seriously. I rode hard but concentrated on the fun factor more than anything. I think with a better core fitness and proper fueling and hydration I should be able to achieve these goals and still keep it fun. At the 12 Hours of Tsali last year I still had gas in the tank when I threw in the towel but a bit too much tom-foolery in the pits and not enough chamois creme ended my efforts prematurely.







I surprised myself at the Disc Burner last year despite the lack of sleep the night before. I worked night shift last year drove home the morning of the race hooked up the camper drove to the race set-up and got signed in just in time to put my toe on the line. This year I'll be sure to schedule vacation and arrive at the venue the day before.

No comments: