Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Locally grown,..yeah right

I stopped at Wal-Mart yesterday on my way home from work to pick up a few groceries to get us through the week. I've been trying to get more fruits and veggies in my diet here lately and I've been trying to buy local as much as possible. Wal-Mart has done a pretty good job lately by keeping a locally grown section in the produce right up front so I usually try to pick from there if I can. I was scanning the various items when I noticed some really good looking red plums, almost too good. I'm not really a red plum fan but they just looked too good to pass up. As I was loading a couple into my bag I noticed something funny on the sticker. California??? I live in Tennessee the last time I checked so that would make them um, not so locally grown. I questioned the cashier while checking out but she just gave me the run around, not that I expected her to really give a rat's ass. I've been wondering how often are the big chain stores taking advantage of the "organic" and "locally grown" hype that's been flooding our stores. I think it's just a fad that will pass after they get those Mexicans to quit crapping on our tomatoes and jalapenoes. I guess I really need to make it down to the Farmer's Market more often.
The big show is coming to town this week! Nascar that is and it looks like mother nature just might play nice by sending Miss Fay back out to sea. Yeehaw! I love Nascar and the Bristol race is always a good one to watch. I hope Jr. can pull out of this little slump he's been in and bring home a win Sat night.
Gonna hit the trails today after work with Melinda, the dogs and a buddy from work who's new to riding. Should be fun.

Later

No comments: