Sunday, August 10, 2008

riding, rain, hotdogs and good beer

I've had a few good days of riding lately. Thursday it started with the weekly TNR ride in JC. There was a storm on the horizon but after watching the radar I was pretty sure it was going to miss us just barely. I started out mid pack with the intentions of just taking it easy and cruising with everyone. I started chatting with a couple of friends that I haven't seen in a while and before I knew it we had dropped the group behind us. We stopped after we had realized what had happened to wait on everyone but after a few minutes had passed we realized that the group had turned off on an alternate route. We decided to backtrack a bit and try and catch everyone else. We ended up missing the turn backtracking some more and then taking a longer route that the group had taken. Instead of just cruising like I had planned we rode at pretty quick pace trying to play catch up. We never caught up with group but we did catch up with the rain storm on Buffalo mtn. as we were descending off the backside. I took it pretty slow coming down, I've always been a chicken when it comes to bombing downhill on skinny tires. Throw in a slick road in the rain and it really kicks the excitement level up a notch. When we finally arrived back at our cars we realized we had ridden almost 5 miles more than the rest of the group.
Friday night a group of us started what I hope begins a new tradition, "The Hot Dog Ride" at Warrior's. We met up at about 6pm and rode the usual route but at a blistering pace led by Anthony. I started out the ride in the very back with saddle height adjustment problems and a bent brake lever from letting my co-work ride Mary. As the pace quickened and the elevation rose I started noticing people dropping of the pace and I was able to work my way to the front. I was fourth in line and bouncing off of rocks left and right when I about ran over FBF on the trail. He looked a little dazed and shook up. I asked him if he was alright and he said he took the wrong line and did an endo onto a rock. After I made sure he was alright I headed off to try and catch up with Anthony and Scooby. I was able to keep them in my sights one we regrouped but my back was feeling tight and I just couldn't keep the pace Anthony was pushing on his singlespeed. I can't wait to get back on the monkey.
Once we got back to the parking lot we fired up the grills and got the hotdogs and beans cooking. It was a fun ride and I hope to see it grow and more people show up. I hope the pace didn't scare anyone off and I'm sure it won't be that fast in the future or there will only be a couple of us out there. I wish I had taking my camera because Anthony, Andy and Mike B. entered the first ever Hot Dog Ride, dog eating contest which was won be Andy. We all had a few good laughs at FBF who was hobbling around like an old woman and the dance Anthony did when he shoved a steaming hotdog in his mouth during the dog eating contest. Next time we'll make sure the dogs aren't hot off the grill.
Saturday I took the day off from riding and Melinda, Anthony, Amanda and I all headed down to the Kingsport Grocery for dinner and good micro brews. The Grocery just opened up a couple of months ago and they have an excellent selection of micro brews on tap and in bottles. You won't find a Bud or Coors light anywhere. I always have intentions of trying something new but I keep going back for our local brewer Depot Street. They had a new I.P.A out the "Freighthopper" which was very tasty.
Tonight is date night, Melinda and I are going to go out to hit the trails together for a romantic mountain bike ride.

Later

2 comments:

Johnny T said...

does any body in your club have recommendations on bike trailors, child seats? what about center mounted child seats?

Riding with dogs said...

not sure get on the forum and ask I know several have them.