Thursday, October 29, 2009

1 bad headlight & a one piece racing suit w/wool socks

2 days left until the start of the 12 Hours of the Hill of Truth race in Oak Ridge TN. I was ready to go last night, all my gear was accounted for. All that's left to do is pack the ECO trailer and do a little shopping. I need to pick up all the necessities like firewood, beer & an afro wig from the Halloween section. I guess I might outa pick up something to eat while I'm there, Melinda might get upset if I forget the food.
I was doing a charge and test run on my HID lights last night and everything was going smoothly until about an hour & twenty minutes into the run and pop went my light. (Yes I had a fan blowing to keep it cool.) Not sure what happened, I recharged the battery but still nothing, something went bad in the light. Perfect timing, luckily for me I picked up a used HID just the other day from my good friend Scooby but I'm not sure if I will use it or not. There has been some talk on our local forum about how much climbing the course is going to have compared to the past few years. Someone made a comment that the course was a cakewalk compared to some of the other courses as far as length and elevation are concerned. I decided that this was my chance to up the hardcoreness level another notch. With my headlight out I plan to resort to using my Petzl camping lamp.






If that doesn't do it maybe I'll ride with one arm tied behind my back. Maybe then I'll be tough enough!
Although I said I was going to take it easy this week I couldn't help myself when I got 2 calls to go ride yesterday. Brad, one of GRT's most hardcore riders wanted to hit Rocky Fork yesterday. He just scored a new BMC Trail Fox a few days ago and the itch had to be scratched. I had to pass as I knew that climb would leave me feeling a bit sore and I need fresh legs for Saturday. I did take the second offer to ride Warrior's at a leisurely pace with AKS and the Local Cult Hero. The call came after I had just given the Mamasita a bath and the KM was hanging there on the wall taunting me. I gave in and took the Monkey out for a spin. It was a little slick but nothing too bad. The only drama was a flat tire courtesy of the LCH. It's funny watching 2 people change a flat tire.


If you ever get a chance to ride with the LCH do it, he never fails to surprise me with his choice of bike which is always different or his wardrobe, he's the only person I know who can pull off a one piece suit w/brown wool socks out on a chill ride and make it look cool.