Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A run in the woods

Yesterday was a pretty good birthday even though I had to work a 12 hour day and I owe it all to Melinda, she was very good to me. It all started off at about 4:30 am when she got up way earlier than she was supposed to, to make me blueberry pancakes with granola. She also fixed me homemade chicken salad for lunch and had a chocolate cake waiting for me when I got home. Thank you sweetheart. She asked me earlier in the week what I wanted to do for my birthday. Working a 12 hour day doesn't leave much time for anything after work and I needed to do something active because I plan on racing this weekend. I told her I wanted to go for a good long run although I needed to ride, a run would have to do because of time constraints. I decided on running the Crazy 8's route which is a pretty nice route and I do need to get in some good miles so maybe I can keep up with Chris D. this year. I was lacing up my street running kicks when the kids started pacing around. They knew I was going somewhere fun and they were begging to tag along. I felt sorry for them because they've been couped up in the house all week. I couldn't take off and leave them there so I traded out my street kicks for my trail kicks and we all headed for the trail head, Melinda included. It was a great evening run, the trails were in great shape and there was even a small sprinkle of rain to cool us down as we headed back to the car. I'm glad I decided to hit the trails and enjoy nature with Melinda and the kids instead of fighting traffic. I'm around enough carbon monoxide at work. On the way home we stopped by my favorite restaurant, Cootie Brown's, and grabbed a Memphis pizza on whole wheat crust. If you've never tried one they're a must., I'm having leftovers for lunch today.

Oh yeah I did check out the trail work that was done to the second creek crossing on the Whitetail Loop. You guys did a great job the trail looks much better. Thanks to all who were involved.

3 comments:

Chris said...

hey, I made it into your blog!!
last time i tried to run fast John T dusted me. I can see this being a problem for both of us if he decides to start showing up at more races!:)

Riding with dogs said...

HA! he's living in Savannah

Melinda said...

Hey early bird! What are you doing posting at 5:24am? Love ya!