Wednesday, December 17, 2008

48 degrees and raining

Yesterday I was watching the weather radar like a hawk. With all the rain we've had I knew riding the dirt was out of the question. I was feeling like a run was in store with what looked like a window of opportunity on the radar. I planned to get outside a little sooner than I actually did but I was moving slow and ended up procrastinating longer than I should have. When I finally made it out I headed downtown for a little urban action. I was looking for a little change of scenery and some more mileage to kick up my running a notch. I ended up at the start of the World's Fastest 8k with dry skies and nothing but endless asphalt in front of me. Less than a mile into my run I was feeling good and keeping a steady pace when I felt the first drop of rain. I wasn't too excited about running in the rain so I decided that when I reached the halfway mark if it was raining harder I would skip out head home and break out the dreaded trainer.
Upon reaching the halfway mark it was raining but not really that hard, just a sprinkle and I was plenty warm and feeling great so I decided to keep going. The longer I ran the harder the rain got and I started noticing I was getting some funny looks. I told myself that they were just jealous that they didn't have what it takes to get out and run in the cold rain like me. I knew I was just fooling myself and they were really pointing and laughing, saying look at that idiot.
Close to the end of my run I did have the opportunity to run through the new veterans memorial Kingsport has erected downtown. I was amazed at how much nicer it is than what you can see from the road. They really did a nice job with the memorial and it really makes you stop and think about all the sacrifices that were made for this country.
By the time I reached the car the rain was coming down pretty good but I swear I haven't felt better in a long time. Had it not been for the rain and a lack of time I could have kept going. Next time I'll get going a little earlier and make the most of my window of opportunity.
I noticed today that the first mtn bike race of the 2009 season that's on my radar is just around the corner. Last year was my first year racing at the Icycle and it was a really fun race that alot of my friends attend. I wish I could say we are going down for the weekend and staying in a cabin but I seriously doubt we will since they're probably not dog friendly. I haven't even ran this event past my social director yet so everything is up in the air as of right now.



I seriously hope we get to make it to this one, I had a blast last year at this race and we got a really cool pint glass just for entering the event. With the race scheduled smack dab in the middle of the winter your sure to have some nasty conditions but a ton of fun.

No comments: