Friday, December 19, 2008

fun ride

Thursday night a few brave souls embarked on a rainy (misting rain actually) ride through Kingsport's infamous Greenbelt. I would not say it was a ride of epic proportions, it was a ride on a nicely flat, paved path in the "misting rain" and fog. I thought the general consensus was to ride road bikes and although I kinda wanted to ride my mtn bike I decided to swap out the slicks on my CX bike for the new knobbies I had bought earlier this year for the much anticipated Mud, Sweat & Gears cyclocross series that I failed to race in. I left the house just before 4pm to run a few errands via my CX bike and it's brand new shoes with gray but dry skies overhead. According to the Weather Channel there was only a 30 percent chance of rain. I think that was only for the first hour of my ride and then they must have changed it to 100.
After I finished my errands I met up with the rest of the folks over at Salsaritas. More people showed up for the ride than I originally thought. By the time we got started the rain had already started in on us and as the night wore on the foggier it got. Riding the Greenbelt is nothing too exciting, it's where you find most of your non bike riding folks who have decided they're going to try riding again. Needless to say there wasn't a soul out there so we had the whole place to ourselves. I've ridden the Greenbelt from end to end but I never really knew where I was at either end. The end we came to dumps you out into a neighborhood and until last night I didn't realize it takes you right into downtown Kingsport. We cruised around downtown and since we were there we figured that we might as well stop by the Kingsport Grocery for a refreshing beverage and get out of the rain for a bit.
I think this is definitely a ride we'll have to do again but next time Melinda and I will have to break out the cruiser bikes. I would have snapped a few pics but it never stopped raining long enough to get out the camera. Maybe next time.

No comments: